Business Development Manager
We are looking for an experienced and strategic Business Development Manager to grow SIY Global’s business, reach, and impact. The role will conduct essential business development activities for SIY Global, including identifying leads and fielding inquiries from companies interested in improving performance and innovation by bringing mindfulness-based social and emotional intelligence into their workplace. The role works closely with our Marketing, Operations, and Client Engagement teams to develop, implement, and integrate business development strategies.
SIY Global brings world-class programs in social and emotional skills to organizations seeking to build more engaged, connected, and high-performing workplaces where both people and business can flourish.
With over 13 years of experience, a global network of 600 certified teachers, and more than 200,000 participants in 50 countries, our evidence-based, transformational learning experiences teach the skills needed to create organizations where people can thrive.
We are looking for a business development manager to increase our impact and support our mission of a more peaceful world in which all people feel connected and act with compassion, starting with more human(e) work cultures, including our own.
General Job Summary:
The role manages prospect research, lead identification, and negotiations for all aspects of the sales cycle— from inquiry management to sales planning and strategy to follow-up and contracting. Success in this position is measured by the achievement of revenue, margin, and client acquisition targets. Collaborating with our Client Engagement team is a key part of this role, including connecting clients to Engagement Managers for program implementation and ongoing relationship development.
This position will be part of a newly formed Business Development team that focuses on bringing SIY Global programs to corporate clients. The Business Development Manager acts as an essential connection between SIY Global and potential and existing clients and is responsible for creating and developing client relationships. Initially, this position will report to the Senior Director, Global Head of Operations.
- Develops and manages a system for conducting prospect research and identifying highly qualified leads in alignment with SIY Global’s strategy.
- Leverages inbound inquiries from potential clients to sell SIY Global programs and develop client relationships.
- Represents the SIY Global brand promise when responding to new leads and customer requests via Salesforce, Zendesk, and email.
- Holds initial sales conversations to gather information on the needs of the client, share about SIY Global offerings, and propose solutions. Builds relationships quickly with potential new clients through calls/video meetings and follows up with resources and support.
- Drafts proposals as needed for potential clients with input from the Product and Operations teams.
- Collaborates closely with the Marketing, Product, and Client Engagement teams.
- Develops communications to keep potential clients engaged, including: following up and finding ways to regularly engage with potential clients (e.g. sharing articles, webinars, sharing about new offerings).
- Assists in the development of case studies of SIY Global clients.
- Communicates data about the impact of SIY Global programs.
- Regularly tracks and shares information about leads and client requests to inform team, marketing, product development and organizational strategy.
- Hands off new clients to teammates (Engagement Managers) to support them to develop long-term relationships with clients.
- Contributes to SIY Global’s strategy development by analyzing and presenting customer and prospect insights.
- Identifies conference and speaking opportunities for SIY Global staff, board, and teachers.
- Presents at targeted forums for L&D and HR leaders.
- 6+ years of applicable experience in a client-facing sales role.
- Experience in prospect research and lead generation.
- Experience working with HR or L&D professionals is a bonus.
- Educational background in adult development, organizational psychology, human resources development, or a related field is a plus.
Knowledge and Skills
- A passion for offering leadership and employee training to global organizations, understanding their needs, and closing new deals.
- Strong relational skills and an ability to connect with a wide variety of people remotely (via email, phone, and video calls).
- A strategic instinct coupled with exceptional research skills.
- High level of organizational skills with thorough follow-through and excellent attention to customer service.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write compelling, effective client proposals and to talk about mindfulness, emotional intelligence, resilience, and leadership in a workplace context.
- Ability to manage a large number of leads and clients simultaneously, performing end-to-end sales activities for 15-30+ accounts at once.
- Experience with Salesforce and Google Apps (or willingness to learn).
- Commitment to the SIY Global mission, including experience or interest in mindfulness, emotional intelligence, and supporting people and workplaces to be more aware and compassionate.
Uncertain if you meet 100% of our qualifications? If you believe that you could shine in this role, we encourage you to apply. We are committed to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you’re new to this field, returning to work after a gap in employment, looking to transition, or take the next step in your career path, we’d love to have you apply!
- Job classification: Exempt, full-time
- Anticipated start date: September 2022
- Location: At this time, we are seeking U.S.-based candidates. Our organization is headquartered in San Francisco, California, but coming into the office is optional and we welcome remote employees! Employees are expected to work at least a 5-hour overlap with standard Pacific Time Zone business hours.
- Salary and benefits: SIY Global offers a competitive salary and benefits package (including flexible vacation policy; medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; 401(k); FSA), along with an opportunity for equity in the organization. The starting annualized full-time salary for this role is: $75,000 – $82,000, dependent on experience level.
If this sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and cover letter. Thank you for your interest and we are very excited to get the opportunity to speak with you!